I am a senior research scientist in the Cluster for Pioneering Research, RIKEN, Japan, and a JST Sakigake Fellow.
My main professional interests are in mesoscopics, quantum optics, quantum information, nano-mechanics and biophysics.
I did my PhD (2005) at the University of Manchester with Prof. Tobias Brandes.
My publications can be found at google scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4UkpsgsAAAAJ
I also occasionally contribute to the fantastic QuTiP package
Some interactive slides, developed for the EPFL Summer School on light-matter interactions, on the treatment of open quantum systems can be found here
Intern student supervision
Huan-yu Ku (From NCKU Tainan, Taiwan). Now a postdoc in Taiwan.
Shahnawaz Ahmed (From BITS Pilani, India). Currently doing a PhD in Chalmers, Sweden.
Melina Wertnik (From ETH Zurich). Now a PhD student in ETH.
Suguru Endo (From Keio University) co-supervised with Yuichiro Matsuzaki from NTT. Now a researcher in NTT-BRL.
Kamanasish Debnath (From Amity Institute of Applied Sciences, India). Currently doing a PhD in Aarhus University, Denmark.
Anubhav Vardman (From IIT Kanpur, India), no working in industry.
– Awarded a JST PRESTO (さきがけ) project to study coherence in photosynthesis, and develop efficient simulation techniques of quantum environments https://www.jst.go.jp/kisoken/presto/application/2018/180918/180918.html
– My recent work with Mauro Cirio was featured in APS Physics Buzz blog,
The highlights are a mention of our favourite pub, the Half Yard, and a reference to the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
– IOP NJP Outstanding Referee (2016).
– April 2015: CEMS Award https://www.cems.riken.jp/jp/events/27th-cems-colloquium-cems-award-lectures.
– March 2015: RIKEN Incentive Award
Significant invited talks:
- Contributed talk at JPS Spring Meeting 2019
- Invited speaker at Mini-Workshop on Biological Sensing and its Application, Keio University, 2019
- Invited speaker at International Workshop on Solid State Quantum Information and Quantum Computing (IWSQIC), China, (2019).
- Speaker at Spin Qubit 4, Konstanz, Germany, September 2018 https://www.uni-konstanz.de/spinqubits/program/
- Invited speaker at IWSSQC, Hang-Zhou, China, May 2018.
- Invited speaker at the EPFL Summer School on light-matter interactions, September 2017. http://lightmatter2017.epfl.ch/
- Invited speaker at the RIKEN workshop on temporal correlations in Quantum Theory, February 2017.
- Invited speaker at the Taiwan 8th International Workshop on Solid-State Quantum Computing & Mini-School on Quantum Information Science, Taipei, Taiwan, December 2016.
- Invited colloquium speaker at Korea University, Korea, June 2nd 2015.
- Invited speaker at the Japan-Taiwan workshop on Quantum Science and Technology, Hsinchu, Taiwan, October 20th, 2015.
- Invited speaker at the “7th international workshop on shape-phase transitions and Critical Point Phenomena in Nuclei”, Seville, Spain, 2014.
- Invited to give the “Eugene Wigner Colloquium” at Berlin Technical University, May, 2011.
Drawing badly, cooking badly, reading bad fiction